Historic Preservation Division
The City of New Smyrna Beach is a Certified Local Government (CLG) by the State of Florida, Division of Historic Resources. The Historic Preservation Division provides the staff to the Historic New Smyrna Beach Preservation Commission (HPC) to maintain the CLG status for the identification, evaluation, and protection of historic properties. Annual reports are submitted to the State of Florida, Division of Historic Resources. View the Annual Reports.
The HPC has set the following goals for the 2009 calendar year:
- Public Awareness/Education
Historic Property Plaque Program
Owners of buildings, which have been recognized as historically significant by the HPC, have the opportunity to purchase a bronze plaque in recognition of the building’s historic value. View the Historic Property Plaque Program.
Donnadine Miller Memorial Historic Preservation Award
The HPC annually accepts nominations for the Donnadine Miller Memorial Historic Preservation Awards. Buildings 50 years and older or sites associated with a historic event are eligible.
The HPC may take the following actions:
- Continuing the survey and inventory of historic buildings and areas and archaeological sites and the plan for their preservation
- Recommending the designation of historic districts and individual landmarks and landmark
- Regulating alterations, demolitions, relocations and new construction to designated property
- Adopting guidelines for changes to designated property
- Coordinating the historic preservation work of the city by working with and advising the federal, state and county governments and other city departments or advisory boards
- Advising and assisting property owners and other persons and groups, including neighborhood organizations who are interested in historic preservation
- Initiating plans for the preservation and rehabilitation of individual historic buildings
- Undertaking educational programs, including the preparations of publications and the placing of historic markers
- New Smyrna Beach National Register of Historic Places Historic Distric
- Coronado National Register of Historic Places Historic District
- Smyrnea Settlement National Register of Historic Places Multiple Property Submission
- Local Landmarks, Landmark Sites, and Historic Districts
- Certificates of Appropriateness
- Historic Preservation Design Guidelines for New Smyrna Beach
- Florida Department of State Division of Historical Resources
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida Public Archaeology Network - Northeast Regional Center
- Florida Trust for Historic Preservation
- Heritage Preservation Trust
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation
- Southeast Volusia Historical Society, Inc.
- University of Florida Map and Imagery Library's Sanborn® Fire Insurance Company Maps of Florida Collection