Comprehensive Planning Section
OverviewThe Comprehensive Planning Section regulates the orderly expansion of the City through long-range planning activities as well as studying the established uses to ensure their continued benefit.
This Section analyzes requests to ensure compliance with the Comprehensive Plan and makes recommendations on development proposals and changes of zoning that affect the general welfare of the City of New Smyrna Beach.
This Section also reviews improvements to the transportation systems for system capacity, interconnectivity, operability, compatibility, and Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) accessibility.
- Assure implementation of the goals, objectives, and policies of the Comprehensive Plan
- Meet with developers and citizens to ensure projects meet standards and explain the development approval process
- Compose staff reports with recommendations to the Local Planning Agency / Planning and Zoning Board and City Commission in their consideration of annexations, Comprehensive Plan amendments, rezonings, Code of Ordinances amendments, and special exception uses to ensure compliance with the Comprehensive Plan, Land Development Regulations, Florida Statutes, and Florida Administrative Code
- Correspond with State planning agencies, the County, and Volusia Growth Management Commission (VGMC) to obtain approval of Comprehensive Plan amendments
- Maintain the Zoning Map
- Manage Concurrency Management System (transportation, parks and recreation, potable water, wastewater treatment, solid waste collection, and stormwater management) (public school facilities are managed by Volusia County School Board)
- Prepare Planning Activity Reports