Planning and Zoning Board
The Planning and Zoning Board was founded under Resolution No. 528 and last amended under Resolution No. 2-88, as the City Commission recognizes the fact that a planning board is necessary in order to guide and accomplish a coordinated and harmonious development of the municipality which will, in accordance with existing and future needs best promote the public health, safety, morals, order, convenience, prosperity, and the general welfare.
The Planning and Zoning Board shall consist of seven members who shall be residents of the City of New Smyrna Beach. The terms for the members shall be for three years; these terms shall be staggered. No member shall serve more than two consecutive terms. The limitation on the number of terms a member may serve may be waived by the City Commission by the affirmative vote of three Commissioners, when the City Commission deems such action necessary and in the best interests of the City. Should a member move his place or residence outside the corporate limits of the City of New Smyrna Beach, they shall automatically be disqualified from further service on the Planning and Zoning Board. Any appointment made to replace a member who does not complete his term for any reason shall be appointed by the City Commission for the unexpired term. Planning and Zoning Board members shall serve at the pleasure of the City Commission.
In brief, the Planning and Zoning Board reviews and makes recommendations on site plans, subdivision plats, street vacations, annexations, amendments to the Comprehensive Plan and Land Development Regulations, and any other matters referred to them by the City Commission.
At length, the functions, powers, and duties of the Planning and Zoning Board shall be, in general, as follows:
- To acquire and maintain in current form such basic information and materials as are necessary to an understanding of past trends, present conditions, and forces at work to cause these conditions. Such basic information and material may include maps and photographs of man-made and natural physical features of the area concerned, statistics on past trends, and present conditions with respect to population, property values, economic base, land use, and such other information as is important or likely to be important in determining the amount, direction, and kind of development to be expected in the area and its various parts.
- To prepare and from time to time amend and revise a comprehensive and coordinated general plan for meeting present requirements and such future requirements as may be forseen and this is to be sent to the City Commission.
- To establish principles and policies for guiding action in the development of the area.
- To prepare and recommend for adoption to the governing authority a zoning ordinance and map for its political jurisdiction.
- From time to time recommend for adoption to the governing authority amendments to the zoning regulations.
- To prepare and recommend to the governing body other ordinances and resolutions promoting orderly development along the lines indicated in the Comprehensive Plan for the growth and improvement of the area.
- To receive and consider requests for changes in existing zoning and to study types of zoning most suitable to newly acquired land area annexed to the City of New Smyrna Beach and to refer recommendations to the City Commission for such consideration as the Planning and Zoning Board shall request.
- To conduct all manner of business required to gather information necessary for the drafting, establishment, and maintenance of the Comprehensive Plan and such additional public hearings as deemed necessary.
- To make, cause to be made, or obtain special studies of the location, condition, and adequacy of specific facilities of the area. These may include, but are not limited to studies on housing, commercial and industrial conditions and facilities, public private utilities, traffic, transportation, and parking.
- To keep the governing body and the general public informed and advised as to these matters.
- To perform any other duties which may be lawfully assigned to it by the City Commission of the City Of New Smyrna Beach.
Meetings are held on the first Monday of each month at 6:30 PM in the City Hall Commission Chambers (210 Sams Ave).
Members of the Planning and Zoning Board
- Steve Danskin (Chair)
- Sandra Smith (Vice Chair)
- Patricia Arvidson
- Herbert Gardner
- Thomas Wheeler
- Susan Neylon
- Kip Hulvershorn