New Smyrna Beach offers a variety of water-related activities. This column on the left of this page contains information on nine paddling trails launching from four sites around the city. From backwater paddles to routes along the Intracoastal Waterway, trails are listed north to south according to launch points.
This site is for informational purposes only. Paddlers launch at their own risk.
Tips for the trail:
- If a powerboat is approaching, flash your paddle over your head to ensure the boat sees you. Also move toward the shallow part of the creek.
- Paddle close to the islands to avoid boat traffic.
- Cross the channel in a tight-knit group.
Items required by the U.S. Coast Guard:
- Life jacket or vest
- Sound device (ex. air horn or whistle)
Additional safety items:
- Tow rope
- First aid kit
- Bilge pump
- Cell phone or GPS in waterproof container
- Visual distress signal (nighttime paddle)
Before launching, check the tides to ensure your trail will be navigable.