The National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's NHRP is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources. On February 21, 1997, the National Park Service listed the Coronado Historic District in the NRHP.
"The Coronado Historic District in the City of New Smyrna Beach is a suburban seaside neighborhood measuring approximately twenty acres and containing 83 historic residential, commercial, and public buildings. The heart of the district centers along Flagler Avenue, with the boundary extending from the east shore of the Indian River, stopping two blocks west of the Atlantic Ocean. The district’s contributing resources possess significance for their architectural and historic associations. Most buildings display Frame Vernacular styling, and the Craftsman style is the most common formal design. A few examples appear of the Colonial Revival and Mediterranean Revival styles. The period of significant development spans the years between 1885 and 1946. The district contains 125 contributing and non-contributing buildings. Of that number 83 buildings are contributing. Although some residences have been rehabilitated to contain offices, most continue to serve their original functions. Small wood frame garages and other outbuildings account for 20 contributing buildings. Non-contributing buildings total 42 and include residences and outbuildings either significantly altered or erected outside the historic period. The district possesses a significant concentration, linkage, and continuity of buildings united historically by plan and physical development."